Discerning a Call to Religious Life
God is continuing to call people to religious life. If you are unmarried, have no dependants, are free of serious debt and have sufficient physical and mental health to be able to enter into this way of life, the Church invites you to consider living out your discipleship of Christ in religious life. Very few people who enter religious life have a clear, undoubted sense of ‘call’ from God, most go through a process of discernment, which involves a prayerful consideration of how they can best express their love of God.
Here are a few indicators that you may be being called to religious life:
– You feel drawn to spend more time in prayer
– You have a desire to dedicate your life entirely to Christ
– You are inspired by religious you know or have read about
– You feel drawn to the work of a particular religious order, for example as a missionary or in caring for those on the margins of society
– Those whose spiritual advice you trust suggest that you might be suited to religious life
Click here to find out more about discernment in a short video.
Many people find that taking part in a structured discernment group is an important help as they discern their vocation in life.
Compass discernment groups are particularly for men and women who are discerning a call to religious life. Please visit the Compass website for more information.
Samuel groups are for young adults who are wondering what God is calling them to do with their life. For more information about Samuel Groups please click here.
For information about other discernment groups and opportunities please visit our directory of discernment groups.